Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Um, God...You There?

So, I've been thinking about people I've met over the years who have expressed their disbelief in God because "He's never spoken to me." Hey, I've been there too.

Well, this morning I was thinking about it, and I realized that when I feel that way, it's because I don't give God the opportunity to speak to me. I don't listen. I cut myself off completely by living the way I want to live, and I challenge God to come chasing after me. And if He doesn't, then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of His non-existence.

This morning, I read in Isaiah a particular chapter that made it clear that I am not the first, nor only person to do this. I had to read it a few times to really get the gist of it (in fact, I had to read from The Message Bible to really put it into words that I could comprehend).

You see, Isaiah writes about a time when people in Israel were living a life for themselves. They knew what God asked of them, but they ignored God completely. Then, their lives started going into shambles. When they hit rock bottom (or close to it), Isaiah writes that the Israelites would cry out to God and ask where He was. But Isaiah makes it clear why God didn't answer: the people that God loved so much had cut themselves off from Him.

I still live at home with the parents (no, really...it's cool. I can totally stay up as late as I want, and they even let me play in the court after dark sometimes). For those of you that don't, think back to your younger days when you did. You knew that when you needed your parents for anything, you could just ask for help, and they would gladly (or sometimes begrudgingly) come running. Even in your rebellious teenage years, when you ran into trouble, your parents would always be there for you. Usually with an angry face (in my experience), but always with a loving heart.

Now, picture this. Picture that your rebellious stage didn't end, but it got to the point that you ran away from your parents. And not just under the kitchen table or as far as the end of the driveway this time. Picture that you ran as far away as possible so that you could continue to live the life that you, in your inexperienced and youthful "wisdom", felt was the fun life you deserved. Eventually the fun runs out, and reality sets in. If you ran into trouble this time, your parents wouldn't be there to answer your call. You've run too far for mom to pick you up in the mini-van with an angry look on her face.

But, if you were to just come back home, your parents would be there with an open embrace...and ready to help you when you need it.



That's how I think of God when I think He "doesn't hear" me. I realize now that He hears me just fine. I'm the one who has the hearing problem. If I run too far away from God, how can He help me?

As someone who has experienced God in so many wonderful ways, let me assure you...God can and does hear you. Examine your life and ask yourself if you can hear Him.

No comments: